For many people, a speech assessment is a life-changing tool. Whether you’re the parent of a child with speech delays or an adult whose communication has been compromised, help is available. Working with a professional can provide the insight you need to create a treatment plan.
What is a Speech Assessment?
A formal speech assessment is performed by a trained speech pathologist. These evaluations identify issues in a few key areas: speaking, writing, comprehension, social communication, feeding, and swallowing. Often, adults and children experience difficulties in these areas attributable to neurological conditions and developmental impairments.
Our speech assessments are available for both children and adults. We assess clients of all ages for:
- Speech and movement difficulties
- Problems with social interactions, including play and conversation
- Difficulty pronouncing specific words or sounds
- Lisps, stutters, or other symptoms affecting speech
- Mumbling or rapid speech
- Trouble communicating with others
- Difficulty speaking, chewing, or swallowing
- Soft speech (inability to raise one’s voice)
- Breathiness or raspiness (poor vocal quality)
- Issues thinking of or combining words
- Difficulty expressing oneself as one ages
If anything in this list sounds familiar, you’re not alone. Research published by the National Institutes of Health has found that nearly 1 in 12 American children show signs of a voice, speech, swallowing, or language disorder. This pattern continues into adulthood; nearly 18 million U.S. adults reported having a problem with their voice within the past year. These conditions are common, and fortunately, treatment is widely available.
Enablr Therapy specializes in convenient, on-demand speech therapy services. This extends to our assessments. Our therapists are available for live-video sessions. We have found that conducting assessments virtually within the home helps our clients to feel more comfortable, ensuring accurate results.
No matter which type of evaluation you choose, our therapists offer compassionate, individualized care to each client. The information gathered in the speech assessment will be used to craft a customized treatment plan for you or your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
At Enablr Therapy, we believe that assessments should be convenient, widely available, and affordable. That’s why we’ve capped our assessment pricing at $200.
Yes! We offer online speech assessments through a secure, HIPAA-compliant video conferencing platform.
At Enablr Therapy, our assessments are fully comprehensive and may be used to evaluate both children and adults.
During a pediatric evaluation, your therapist will observe your child’s speech, often through play, and will then have them complete a standardized test. They will also speak with you to collect any pertinent information about your child’s developmental history and behaviors you’ve observed at home.
In an adult evaluation, the therapist will have a one-on-one conversation with you about your experiences, challenges, and goals. They will ask questions about your speech problems and may have you complete a standardized measure to determine which symptoms require treatment.
If you or your family member has had an evaluation by a licensed therapist within the last 6 months, there may not be a need for another evaluation. Our professionals would be happy to look through your recent evaluations and any reports you would like to share to make a better determination on your need for a new evaluation. However, past evaluations that are more than 6 months old often need to be updated as the client’s performance most likely has changed during that time. Our therapists conduct comprehensive evaluations that serve as the foundation for you (or your child’s) treatment plan. Feel free to begin browsing therapists now.
Get the Insights You Need
There’s no doubt that communication is a vital skill. At Enablr Therapy, we help clients of all ages to strengthen their abilities, build confidence, and prepare for every interaction that comes their way. Contact our treatment team to schedule a speech assessment today.
Speech Therapy Assessments
- Children’s Communication Checklist (CCC-2)
- Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals (CELF-5)
- Comprehensive Assessment of Spoken Language (CASL-2)
- Developmental Profile (DP-2)
- Expressive Vocabulary Test (EVT-3)
- Goldman-Fristoe Test of Articulation (GFTA-3)
- Khan-Lewis Phonological Analysis (KPLA-3)
- Oral and Written Language Scales (OWLS-II)
- Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test (PPVT-5)
- Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory – Computer Adaptive Test (PEDI-CAT)
- Stuttering Severity Instrument (SSI-4T)
- Diagnostic Evaluation of Language Variation (DELV)
Need more help? Write to us.
Whether your child stutters or has difficulty processing what others say, help is here. We have the answers you need. Enablr Therapy connects you with proven professionals who specialize in pediatric speech therapy. Through one-on-one sessions, comprehensive support, and compassionate service, we aim to make a difference in your child’s life.