Does your child seem to experience challenges that other kids do not? If your son or daughter is dealing with developmental delays, having difficulty with fine motor skills, or demonstrating sensory issues, it may be time to seek out a pediatric occupational therapist.
Pediatric Occupational Therapy
When you hear the term “occupational therapy,” you probably focus on the word “occupation.” While children don’t work from 9 to 5, they do have jobs: playing, learning new social skills, interacting with others, performing in school, writing, and controlling their emotions are a few notable examples. Basically, each child’s full-time job is learning to be a social, more self-sufficient person-in-training.
The goal of occupational therapy is to empower clients to achieve independence and thrive in their occupations. Because of this, pediatric OT services focus on techniques that improve a child’s ability to function at a developmentally appropriate level. Our services provide the bedrock needed for your child to succeed in school, play well with others, self-regulate, communicate effectively, and complete everyday self-care tasks.
Specific Skills Learned in Pediatric Occupational Therapy
- Fine motor skills like handwriting,
- Sensory processing (tolerance for textures and sounds)
- Visual perception needed for reading, writing, driving, etc.
- Age-appropriate play
- Social interactions like taking turns or asking for help
- Self-care (dressing, bathing, toileting, and sleeping)
- School readiness and attention skills
In-Person or Online Occupational Therapy for Children
Enablr Therapy offers pediatric occupational services in Nashville and beyond. Our licensed therapists are available for both in-person and online sessions. In-person meetings take place at a location of your choosing; there’s no need to travel to an office across town. Instead, your provider will travel to your home (or Grandma’s house, a babysitter’s residence, or your daycare center!) to deliver your child’s programming.
Our appointment times are also flexible, ensuring that you can schedule an occupational therapy session during downtime from after-school activities, sports practices, and other obligations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pediatric occupational therapy can be helpful for kids and teens who have cognitive, physical, or sensory issues. The most common reasons that parents seek OT at Enablr Therapy include:
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Sensory processing disorder
- Birth defects or injuries
- Genetic disorders
- Developmental coordination disorder
- Down syndrome
- Developmental delays
- Spina bifida
- Learning problems
- Traumatic brain or spinal cord injuries
- Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- Behavioral concerns
- Post-surgical care
- Cerebral palsy
Pediatric OT offers a host of benefits, including:
- Increased independence with daily activities
- Improved coordination
- More engaged play
- Appropriate behavioral responses to sensory experiences
- Enhanced engagement in school-related activities
If your child is exhibiting any of the following symptoms, we recommend a pediatric OT evaluation.
- Missing milestones (ex: ability to draw, complete puzzles, dress without assistance, cut out shapes, build towers, and socialize with others)
- Learning at a level that is not age-appropriate
- Issues playing or interacting with others
- Difficulties with age-appropriate dressing, bathing, or toileting skills
- Struggling to understand and use common objects, like a toothbrush or hairbrush
- Picky eating
- Sensitivity to clothing textures
- Pickiness about food colors or textures
- High reactivity to sensory input (sound, touch)
- Constantly moving or running into things
- Extremely easily distracted
- Difficulty tolerating noise
- Struggling to calm down when upset
- Anxiety about their feet leaving the ground (vestibular movement tolerance)
Fine Motor Skills
- Poor hand-eye coordination
- Difficulty using zippers, shoelaces, or buttons
- Poor handwriting
- Issues with using utensils
- Struggling to write, draw, or use a pencil
- Difficulty playing with small toys
Help Your Child to Gain Independence
Nothing compares to the joy of watching your child reach a new milestone. At Enablr Therapy, it is our mission to empower your son or daughter. Our licensed, credentialed therapists are experts in providing OT services to kids and teens. To learn more about our approach to pediatric occupational therapy, contact us today.
Need more help? Write to us.
Whether your child stutters or has difficulty processing what others say, help is here. We have the answers you need. Enablr Therapy connects you with proven professionals who specialize in pediatric speech therapy. Through one-on-one sessions, comprehensive support, and compassionate service, we aim to make a difference in your child’s life.